Acumen raises charitable donations which are then used for long-term debt or equity investments for early-stage companies providing reliable and affordable access to agricultural inputs and markets, quality education, clean energy, healthcare services, formal housing, and safe drinking water to low-income customers.
Deadline- Applications are accepted year round.
The companies that are applying must meet the following criteria:
1. GEOGRAPHY: Be located in or have significant operation or impact in East Africa, West Africa, India, Pakistan or Latin America.
2. SECTORS: Operate in one of our investment sectors of Agriculture, Energy, Education, Health, Housing, or Water
3. INVESTMENT SIZE: Be seeking investment capital in the range of $0.25M-$3M, structured as either debt or equity.
4. STAGE: Be an early-mid stage company that is in the process of scaling. We rarely invest in pure start-up companies.
5. POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SOCIAL IMPACT: Make a product or deliver a service that addresses a critical need for the poor in our sectors and geographic focus. These products or services need to be economically better or create greater social impact than what is currently available on the market or through charitable distribution channels.
6. POTENTIAL FOR FINANCIAL SUSTAINABILITY: Have a clear business model that demonstrates the potential for financial sustainability within a five to seven year period; including the ability to cover operating expenses with operating revenues.
7. POTENTIAL TO ACHIEVE SCALE: Be able to demonstrate a clear path to scale the number of end users over the period of our investment and be positioned as one of the leading service providers in the market.
8. STRONG MANAGEMENT TEAM: Have a strong and experienced management team with the skills and will to execute the business plan with a clear and compelling vision. The management team is dedicated to serving low-income individuals and has unyielding ethics.
To submit a proposal, applicants must review their investment criteria, create their executive summary and submit their application form.