FONHDAD (Fondation Haitienne de Développement Agricole Durable) is a unique model in the history of Haiti’s agricultural development. It is an autonomous association and a non-profit organization that brings together universities, private business owners and the non-profit sector. This synergy of institutions involved in the agricultural sector gives a boost and / or renews the hope of the modernization of the Haitian Agriculture, crystallized by traditional practices in terms of operational units of production.
The goal of the foundation is to contribute to the modernization of the agriculture in Haiti through the introduction of new techniques, fertilizers, improved seeds, innovative equipment and market development strategy.
It also aims to:
- Disclose the environmental protection rules and to educate rural populations to manage their natural resources in a sustainable manner and in compliance with the law;
- Provide assistance to peasants to become real farmers by practicing modern agriculture respectful to the environment;
- Promote applied research and the development of proximity laboratories, that may assist stakeholders in the field of agricultural development, environmental protection and good management of natural resources;
- Regroup specialized agencies that are interested in training and in applied research;
- Collaborate with relevant public institutions, to promote the training program, the mentoring and the research in the field of agriculture and environmental protection.